Natural gallstones treatments in Guelph
Gallstone disease affects roughly 10-20% of adults. The current trend in medicine is to surgically remove the gallbladder (called cholecystectomy). The gallbladder may not be an “essential” organ, but it plays an important role in the digestion of fats. Many patients develop chronic abdominal pain, bloating, flatulence and diarrhea called “post-cholecystectomy syndrome” after having their gallbladder removed. Cholecystectomy may be warranted in some cases, but nonsurgical natural gallstones treatments should be considered because of the risks of complications associated with surgery and digestive symptoms that may follow.
Most gallstones are composed of cholesterol. Bile acts as a soap to dissolve fat and cholesterol. If the bile becomes supersaturated with cholesterol and the gallbladder does not empty properly, then cholesterol crystals form that eventually lead to sludge or gallstones. Everyone patient is different so there’s no “one treatment fits all” approach. Our natural treatments for gallstones in Guelph typically involves exploring the following:
- Increase Bile Production – Herbs called choleretics, stimulate the liver to synthesize more bile thus providing more solvent to dissolve the cholesterol stones.
- Stimulate Gallbladder – Herbs called cholagogues to stimulate gallbladder contractions to increase bile flow and reduce stagnant bile from forming gallstones.
- Supplement Bile – Research suggests that supplementing with bile can help with fat digestion and can dissolve gallstones.
- Remove Food Sensitivities – Food sensitivities (not to be confused with food allergies) may reduce gallbladder contractions thus reducing bile flow leading to gallstones. Identifying and removing food sensitivities may help prevent the formation of new gallstones.
- Improve Diet – The typical North American diet is associated with gallstone formation. Eating a healthy diet can help reduce the risk of developing gallstones.
- Decrease Pain – Gallstones can cause cramping pain in the gallbladder. Certain antispasmodic herbs have been used to help reduce cramping pains.
- Increase Vitamin C– Research suggests that Vitamin C may inhibit the growth of gallstones. Taking a vitamin C supplement may have benefits.
Note: Both gallbladder surgery and attempting to dissolve gallstones are associated with some risks. Contact us to see if natural gallstone treatments are right for you.
Get help with gallstones treatments in Guelph.
Dr. Matt Gowan is a naturopathic doctor with over 15 years of clinical experience. He has a special interest in digestive conditions including IBS, colitis, constipation, infantile colic, heartburn, and gallstones. In addition, he is a professor, author, and researcher.
Disclaimer: This content is subject to change. The information is intended to inform and educate; it does not replace the medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. © 2018 Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic. All rights reserved.