How we treat fatty liver in Guelph
Chronic damage to the liver leads to inflammation and fat accumulation. Although drugs, alcohol, and viruses can all damage the liver, poor dietary habits are the most common cause of fatty liver. Our naturopathic doctors at the Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic use a multi-pronged approach to treating fatty liver disease. We focus primarily on improving the diet, weight loss, and herbs to improve liver function, reduce damage and corresponding liver enzymes and clear fat from the liver.
- Remove the cause – Drugs, toxins, infections, and poor diet can all damage the liver resulting in inflammation and fat accumulation. Identifying and removing the cause is the first step in treating fatty liver.
- Protect the liver – Certain herbs protect the liver to reduce damage, pain and lower liver enzymes.
- Weight loss – Losing excess body fat also helps clear fat from the liver. A low carbohydrate can be beneficial.
- Lower cholesterol – Fatty liver is often associated with elevated cholesterol and triglycerides. Herbs and food designed to lower cholesterol and trigycerides helps reduce fatty liver.
- Increase Bile Production – Herbs called choleretics, stimulate the liver to synthesize more bile thus providing more solvent to dissolve the fat and cholesterol.
- Improve Flora– Research suggests that beneficial gut bacteria play a role in managing fatty liver. Supplementing with certain probiotics may help.
Get natural help with fatty liver treatments in Guelph.
Dr. Matt Gowan is a naturopathic doctor with over 15 years of clinical experience. He has a special interest in digestive conditions including IBS, colitis, constipation, infantile colic, heartburn, and fatty liver. In addition, he is a professor, author, and researcher.
Disclaimer: This content is subject to change. The information is intended to inform and educate; it does not replace the medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. © 2018 Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic. All rights reserved.