How do we treat IBS at the Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic?
Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic has two naturopaths with roughly 25 years of combined experience treating IBS. In fact, IBS is one of the top condition that we see in our Guelph clinic.
IBS is not a disease but rather a “syndrome” defined by a group of symptoms. It typically presents with abdominal pain with altered bowel movements (i.e. constipation and/or diarrhea). Numerous factors cause IBS, therefore, there’s no “one treatment fits all” approach. Every person is unique and requires their own individual treatment. Our approach typically involves exploring the following:
- Identify food sensitivities – Food sensitivities (not to be confused with food allergies) are the most common cause of IBS. These food intolerances are usually caused by an immune reaction involving IgG antibodies that can be identified using a blood test (1-3). Elimination diets can also help identify the culprits. (4)
- Eradicate infections – Pathogenic bacteria, parasites, and yeast can all contribute to symptoms of IBS. Antimicrobial herbs can help treat these infections.
- Improve gut flora – In addition to removing harmful bugs, it is important to supplement with probiotics or “good bacteria” to help recolonize the gut. (5, 6)
- Normalize bowel movements – Certain fiber-rich can improve stool consistency, thus promoting regularity and reduce diarrhea.
- Reduce urgency & decrease pain – Many traditional herbs can reduce abdominal pain and urgency associated with IBS.
- Manage stress – Although stress is not the primary cause of IBS, it can aggravate and precipitate episodes. Stress management may help improve IBS. (7,8)
- Relieve bloating – Dietary changes and certain herbs can assist in reliveing bloating and gas that is common in patients with IBS.
Who treats IBS at the Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic?
Vicky Weiler, ND, and Matt Gowan, ND are both naturopathic doctors with a special interest in treating IBS. This husband and wife team work at the Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic.
Dr. Matt Gowan is a naturopathic doctor with over 15 years of clinical experience. He has a special interest in digestive conditions including heartburn, colitis, constipation, diarrhea, infantile colic and IBS. In addition, he is a professor, author and researcher.
Dr. Vicky Weiler is the mother of their two children. She currently is on maternity leave.
Disclaimer: This content is subject to change. The information is intended to inform and educate; it does not replace the medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. © 2018 Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic. All rights reserved.