How we treat migraines at the Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic
Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic has two naturopaths with roughly 25 years of combined experience in treating migraines and other types of headaches.
The precise cause of migraines is not yet known. Migraines are believed to result from abnormal activity in the brain but the triggers can vary from one person to the next. Therefore, there’s no “one treatment fits all”. Although migraines drugs can help decrease the pain they do not address the underlying cause. We understand that every person is unique and requires their own individual treatment plan. Our approach to treating migraines includes:
- Remove food sensitivities – Food sensitivities (not to be confused with food allergies) are a common cause of migraines. These food intolerances are usually caused by an immune reaction involving IgG antibodies that can be identified using a blood test. Elimination diets can also help identify the culprits.
- Correct deficiency – Certain nutrient deficiencies (Vitamin B2, Iron, Magnesium) may be linked to migraines. Evaluating and restoring these nutrient deficiencies may help reduce migraine attacks.
- Balance hormones – Some women’s migraines are triggered by hormonal changes. Balancing hormones naturally may decrease migraines in some women.
- Weight loss – Obesity appears to be associated with migraines in women. Thus weight loss may help reduce migraines in some women. We provide weight loss coaching and meal plans.
- Balance sugar – Sometimes when blood sugar drops too low it can trigger migraines. Balancing blood sugar may prevent hypoglycemic episodes that can trigger migraines.
- Manage stress – Although stress is not the primary cause of migraines, it can aggravate and precipitate episodes. Stress management may help decrease the frequency.
- Detoxify – Some people are very sensitive to chemicals (e.g. perfume, smoke, solvents). Some detoxification protocols may help reduce the burden and decrease the sensitivity to those triggers.
- Modulate serotonin – Serotonin has many roles in the body ranging from regulating mood, nausea and blood flow. Clinical trials have shown certain herbs can reduce frequency and intensity of migraines by modulating serotonin receptors. We can help determine if these herbs would benefit you.
We can help treat your migraines in Guelph
The Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic has two Guelph naturopaths with over 25 years of combined experience treating migraines. Dr. Matt Gowan and Vicky Weiler are a husband and wife team who can help with your migraines.
Dr. Matt Gowan, BSc, ND
Dr. Matt Gowan is a Guelph naturopathic doctor with over 15 years of clinical experience treating a variety of conditions including migraines. Before becoming a naturopath, he completed his undergraduate in biochemistry and worked in pharmaceutical research. He has published numerous research papers and textbooks and has won several awards for his achievements. In addition to treating his patients in Guelph, he teaches herbal medicine and pharmacology at the Candian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM) in Toronto.
Dr. Vicky Weiler, BSc, ND
Dr. Vicky Weiler, BSc, ND is a naturopathic doctor born and raised in Guelph. She has over 12 years of experience helping patients with a variety of condition including hormonal imbalances, food sensitivities, weight loss, and migraines. In addition, she is the mother of two young children.
Disclaimer: This content is subject to change. The information is intended to inform and educate; it does not replace the medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. © 2018 Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic. All rights reserved.