Natural Diabetes Care in Guelph
Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic has a special interest in treating diabetes in Guelph naturally. Dr. Vicky Weiler, ND, and Dr. Matt Gowan, ND have over 25 years of combined experience working with diabetic patients. In addition, Matt has co-authored two research studies on naturopathic approaches to treating diabetes. (1,2) Their unique approach to treating diabetes involves dietary changes and natural supplements that are based on the best available research.
Improving your diet is the single most important treatment for diabetes. Every person is unique and requires their own individual treatment. Our naturopaths at the Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic use the following approach when treating diabetes:
- Improve Diet – Poor eating habits are the primary cause of type 2 diabetes. Research shows that improving your diet improves blood sugar control and can even reverse diabetes in some patients. We recommend dietary changes based on both current research and our clinical experience.
- Remove food sensitivities – Research suggests that food sensitivities (not to be confused with food allergies) can cause digestive issues and also lead to weight gain and thus contribute to diabetes. We help our patients identify food culprits that may be negatively impacting their health.
- Decrease inflammation – Diabetics tend to have increased inflammation in the body that contributes to heart disease, strokes, kidney problems, and other related complications. Certain anti-inflammatory herbs may improve glycemic control and help prevent diabetic complications.
- Improve heart health – Diabetes is associated with bad cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. We recommend specific foods and natural supplements to combat heart disease.
- Manage stress – Stress hormones increase sugar cravings and worsen blood sugar control. We recommend healthy coping mechanisms to help our patient manage their stress better.
- Improve gut flora – The digestive tract is home to billions of bacteria that are important to our health. New research suggest that these bugs can influence diabetes.
- Therapeutic fasting – Although not appropriate for everyone, diabetic patients can benefit from therapeutic fasting. This could range from daily 12 hours fasts to longer fast lasting several days. We have experience working with patients interested in therapeutic fasting.
Who can help you with your diabetes in Guelph?
Dr. Matt Gowan is a naturopath in Guelph with over 15 years of clinical experience. He has a special interest in diabetes, heart disease, and digestive issues. In addition to being a naturopathic doctor, he is a professor, author, and researcher.
- Gowan, Matt & Habib, C & Podgrabinski, Stefan & Cooley, Kieran. (2012). P02.95. Treating type 2 diabetes: a cross-sectional audit of naturopathic standards of care using the Naturopathic Patient Database. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 12. 10.1186/1472-6882-12-S1-P151.
- Gowan, Matt & Cooley, Kieran & Habib, Christopher & Podgrabinski, Stefan & Grodski, Tom & Leung, Brenda & Shapoval, Maria & Seely, Dugald. (2012). Treating Type 2 Diabetes: A Cross-sectional Audit of Naturopathic Standards of Care Using the Naturopathic Patient Database. Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine. 17. 108-116. 10.1177/2156587212438898.
Disclaimer: This content is subject to change. The information is intended to inform and educate; it does not replace the medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. © 2018 Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic. All rights reserved.