How we treat gastroparesis in Guelph
Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic has two naturopaths with roughly 25 years of combined experience in treating digestive disorders including, bloating, indigestion, heartburn, nausea, constipation, and gastroparesis. We treat gastroparesis in Guelph using dietary changes, herbs, and other natural supplements.
Gastroparesis results from weakness of the stomach causing incomplete digestion of food and delayed emptying of the stomach. Most sufferers have a poor appetite, and they develop stomach pain after meals often causing nausea and vomiting. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and malnutrition are also associated with gastroparesis. Researchers are perplexed by what precisely causes gastroparesis, and it’s likely there are multiple causes. At the Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic, we treat gastroparesis in Guelph with a multi-pronged approach:
- Remove food sensitivities – Food sensitivities (not to be confused with food allergies) may contribute to various digestive symptoms. Food intolerances involve an immune reaction associated with IgG antibodies reacting to food protein-carbohydrate complexes called lectins. We generally begin with an elimination diet to reveal specific food sensitivities. In some patients, they may also prefer a blood test that can also help identify the culprits.
- Promote digestion – Different digestive herbs increase stomach acid, stimulate the release of digestive enzymes, and promote emptying of the stomach. Our naturopath, Dr. Matt Gowan, ND is very knowledgeable in herbal medicine having written books on the topic and he also currently teaches herbal medicine at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine.
- Supplement with Enzymes – Some patients may not produce adequate digestive enzymes. Supplementing with digestive enzymes can aid with digestion.
- Normalize peristalsis – Food moves through the digestive tract by the synchronized contractions of the intestines called peristalsis. Certain herbs can help promote normal peristalsis and prevent cramping pains resulting from overactive muscle contractions.
- Relieve nausea – Most people with gastroparesis experience nausea and vomiting. Several natural remedies can help soothe the stomach and relieve nausea.
- Improve flora – Billions of bacteria live in our colon, and they directly affect our digestion and elimination. Sometimes the wrong type of bacteria colonize the bowels, including methane-producing bacteria that tend to suppress the proper functioning of the digestive tract. We strive to remove the “bad” bugs and encourage the growth of “good” bugs.
Who can help treat your gastroparesis in Guelph?
Dr. Matt Gowan is a naturopathic doctor with over 15 years of clinical experience. He has a special interest in digestive conditions including bloating, IBS, colitis, constipation, infantile colic, heartburn, diarrhea, and gastroparesis. In addition, he is a professor, author, and researcher.
Disclaimer: This content is subject to change. The information is intended to inform and educate; it does not replace the medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. © 2018 Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic. All rights reserved.