How we treat diarrhea at the Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic
Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic has two naturopaths with roughly 25 years of combined experience in treating diarrhea. In fact, diarrhea is one of the top conditions that we see in our Guelph clinic.
Diarrhea has many causes, therefore, there’s no “one treatment fits all” approach. Every person is unique and requires their own individual treatment. Our approach typically involves exploring the following:
- Remove food sensitivities – Food sensitivities (not to be confused with food allergies) are a common cause of chronic diarrhea. These food intolerances are usually caused by an immune reaction involving IgG antibodies that can be identified using a blood test. Elimination diets can also help identify the culprits.
- Eradicate infections – Pathogenic bacteria, parasites, and yeast can all cause diarrhea. Antimicrobial herbs can help treat these infections.
- Improve gut flora – In addition to removing harmful bugs, it is important to supplement with probiotics or “good bacteria” to help recolonize the gut.
- Decrease inflammation – Inflammation in the bowels can stimulate diarrhea. Removing the cause of the inflammation and supplementing with natural products with antiinflammatory properties can help reduce diarrhea.
- Reduce urgency – Certain fiber-rich can improve stool consistency, thus promoting regularity and reduce diarrhea.
- Decrease cramping – Many traditional herbs can reduce abdominal pain and urgency associated with diarrhea.
- Arrest bleeding– In severe cases, blood in the stool may accompany diarrhea. Certain astringent herbs can help stop the bleeding and heal the wounds in the intestines.
Who can help relieve your diarrhea in Guelph?
Dr. Matt Gowan is a naturopathic doctor with over 15 years of clinical experience. He has a special interest in digestive conditions including IBS, colitis, constipation, infantile colic, heartburn, and diarrhea. In addition, he is a professor, author, and researcher.
Disclaimer: This content is subject to change. The information is intended to inform and educate; it does not replace the medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. © 2018 Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic. All rights reserved.