How do we approach weight loss at the Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic?
Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic has two naturopaths with roughly 25 years of combined experience in helping people lose weight.
The majority of the population struggles with weight loss. There is so much conflicting information on the internet that most people have troubles figuring out what to do. Numerous factors lead to weight gain therefore, there’s no “one treatment fits all” approach. Every person is unique and requires their own individual treatment. Our approach typically involves exploring the following:
- Identify food sensitivities – Food sensitivities (not to be confused with food allergies) are a common cause of weight gain. If you’re weight “yo-yos” quickly from one day to the next then you probably have food sensitivities. These food intolerances are usually caused by an immune reaction involving IgG antibodies that can be identified using a blood test. Research shows that removing IgG food sensitivities helps with weight loss.
- Promote digestion – Sluggish digestion can cause food to sit in the digestive tract and lead to weight gain. Certain herbs can help stimulate digestion and ensure the rapid breakdown and descent of food.
- Improve gut flora – Supplements containing probiotics or “good bacteria” can help weight loss. The types of bugs in your guts can significantly impact weight.
- Meal plans – We help create meal plans that help lose weight without counting calories.
- Manage stress – Stress hormones increase sugar cravings. In addition, cortisol causes muscles wasting and belly fat accumulation. Balancing cortisol using herbs and stress management technique can help weight loss.
- Exercise – Increasing physical activity helps with weight loss. We can provide tips and encouragement to keep you motivated.
- Detoxification – In some patients, detox protocols can be helpful for patients to lose weight. We can recommend several different approaches that may help.
- Monitor progress – We monitor patient’s progress using a bioimpedance analysis machine (BIA). This device tracts muscle, fat, and water composition. In addition, it helps track “bad” water that is often associated with food sensitivities. The BIA machine helps patients understand how foods impact their health.
Who can help with your weight loss?
Vicky Weiler, ND, and Matt Gowan, ND are both naturopathic doctors with a special interest in weight loss. This husband and wife team both work at the Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic. They both live a healthy and active lifestyle and help their patients do the same