Matt Gowan – Naturopathic Doctor
Dr. Matt Gowan, ND has over 15 years of clinical experience as a naturopathic doctor. He completed his undergraduate in biochemistry at the University of Waterloo, and worked in pharmaceutical research for several years before becoming a naturopath. Although Dr. Gowan appreciates that drugs have a place in healthcare, he believes that dietary and lifestyle changes along with some natural supplements are usually sufficient to treat most of his patient’s ailments. Dr. Gowan’s pharmacology background allows him to answer patients questions about the benefits and risks of drugs.
Not all alternative (or conventional!) therapies are effective and safe. Using his research background, Dr. Gowan critically appraises the evidence of various treatments. His motto is “Do the safest and most effective treatment to feel better.” Dr. Gowan has a passion for herbal medicine and is one of Canada’s leading authorities on herbal medicine. He won “Favourite Professor Award” at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM) in Toronto where he teaches herbal medicine. In addition, Dr. Gowan has published and presented numerous research articles and textbooks in the health field. He currently sees patients at the Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic (GNMC) where he treats a variety of conditions.
- Naturopathic Doctor – (Various Clinics) – 2003 to Present
- CEO ( NDAssist Inc.) – 2005 to Present
- Instructor of Botanical Medicine & Pharmacology (CCNM) – 2007 to Present
- Clinic Supervisor (CCNM) – 2003-2015
- Biochemisty & Organic chemistry – Research assistant (MERCK FROSST) – 1996-1997
Analytical Chemist (Eli Lilly Canada) – 1994
- Bachelor of Science: Honours Co-op Biochemistry – (University of Waterloo) 1992-1998
- Medical Acupuncturist (McMaster University) – 2003
- Naturopathic Doctor (CCNM) – 1999-2003
- Clinic Resident Naturopathic Doctor (CCNM) –2003-2005
- Research Resident (CCNM) – 2005-2007
- Prescribing Therapeutics Exam (CONO) – 2016
- Dean’s Honours List – University of Waterloo (1999)
- NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award in Industry (1997)
- Faculty of Science Work Term Report: Eli Lilly Canada Inc. Award (1996)
- Case Report Award “Gallstone Dissolution with the use of Botanical Medicine” – Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors (CAND) (2007)
- Gowan & Kassam “Fundamentals of Clinical Acupuncture”, CCNM Press, Kingston, 2009
- Gowan & Saunders, Godfrey, Barlow “Princinpals and Practice of Naturopathic Botanical Medicine”, CCNM Press, Kingston 2010.
- Gowan M; Caille S; Lau C. Synthesis of 3-Alkoxyindoles via Palladium Catalyzed Intra-molecular Cyclization of N-Alkyl ortho-Sioxyallylaniline. Synlett (1998) 11: 1312-4.
- Zakrzewski, P., Gowan M., Trimble L., Lau, C. K. Ortho-hydroxyalkylation of Aminopyridines. A novel approach to heterocycles. Synthesis. (1999): 1893-902
- Christopher Habib, ND1, Matthew Gowan, ND1,2, Stefan Podgrabinski2, Tom Grodski, ND3, Brenda Leung, ND3, Maria Shapoval, ND1, Dugald Seely, MSc1, and Kieran Cooley, MSc 1″Treating Type 2 Diabetes: A Cross-sectional Audit of Naturopathic Standards of Care Using the Naturopathic Patient Database” Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine, Jan. 2012.
- “Measuring Outcomes in Naturopathic Medical Clinics” CAND Health Fusion, Toronto 2007.
- “Gallstone Dissolution with the use of Botanical Medicine” ” CAND Health Fusion, Toronto 2007.
- Habib C, Podgrabinski S, Gowan M, Leung B, Seely D, Cooley K “A cross-sectional study of patients of the Robert Schad Naturopathic Clinic using the Naturopathic Patient Database”. Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors Conference (2011), American Association of Naturopathic Physician Conference (2011)
- Habib C, Podgrabinski S, Gowan M, Leung B, Seely D, Cooley K “Treating Type 2 Diabetes: A cross-sectional audit of Naturopathic care within a naturopathic college teaching clinic using the Naturopathic Patient Database” Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors Conference (2011), American Association of Naturopathic Physician Conference (2011)
- “Measuring Outcomes Using the MYMOP and Naturopathic Patient Database (NPD)” – British Colombia Naturopathic Association Conference 2007.
- “Measuring Outcomes Using the MYMOP and Naturopathic Patient Database (NPD)” – American Association of Naturopathic Medicine 2006.
- “NPD” – National College of Naturopathic Medicine 2008
- “NPD” – Boucher Institute of Health 2010
- “Case Series: Bitter Herbs and the Treatment of Functional Dyspepsia” – NHPRS Annual Research Conference, Toronto 2008.
- CBC radio – 20 min interview, 2002.
- CJAI – Medicinal benefits of curcumin, 2010.
- CJAI – Furanocoumarins and herbs that cause photosensitization, 2011.