Learn how we naturally treat depression in Guelph
Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic has two naturopaths with roughly 25 years of combined experience in treating various conditions including digestive issues, fatigue, chronic infections, poor immune system, anxiety, and depression. We treat depression in Guelph using dietary changes, herbs, and other natural supplements.
A naturopathic approach to treating depression is multi-pronged. We can improve your mood using a number of dietary changes and natural supplements:
- Rule-out Deficiencies – Various nutrients are required to make neurotransmitters. Research shows that people low in certain nutrients are more likely to suffer from depression. Supplementing with certain vitamins and minerals can help many people suffering from depression.
- Increase serotonin – Although lots of different neurotransmitters influence mood, serotonin is considered the “happy” chemical and it has the most significant influence on mood. Supplementing with serotonin precursors (e.g. 5-HTP) and co-factors (Vitamin B6) required to synthesize serotonin can improve mood without the serious side-effects associated with antidepressant drugs. In addition, specific herbs boost serotonin. Research demonstrates they are as effective as antidepressant drugs but do not produce the serious side-effects that they do.
- Improve GUT health – Our digestive tract plays an important role in regulating our moods. Irritable bowel disorder (IBS) is associated with depression. By removing food sensitivities and improving the gut health many people experience an improvement in mood.
- Rule-out infection – Chronic infections affect the immune system and can cause fatigue, anxiety, and depression. Not everyone with depression has a chronic infection but this should be explored as a possible contributing factor.
- Diet & Lifestyle – Diet plays an important role in regulating moods. Improving nutrient intake, balancing blood sugar and reducing inflammation can also help depression. Exercise and other lifestyle changes can also help.
- Behavioural Therapy – Changing the way you think is an important part of treating depression. We recommend some simple techniques that may be helpful. In addition, we can recommend therapists to help with your depression in Guelph.
Who can help treat your depression in Guelph?
Dr. Matt Gowan, ND is a naturopathic doctor with over 15 years of clinical experience. He completed his undergraduate in biochemistry before becoming a naturopathic doctor in Guelph. In addition, he is a professor, author, and researcher. He has taught lectures that focus on the pharmacology of the nervous system. Also, he practiced mindfulness based mediation for over 20 years.
Disclaimer: This content is subject to change. The information is intended to inform and educate; it does not replace the medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. © 2018 Guelph Naturopathic Medical Clinic. All rights reserved.